My Favorite Toys

Anything you feel passionate aboutR-rated, Off-topic & Out of Order as well as very pointless posts, you will find all that stuff in here.

My Favorite Toys

Postby Fogdude » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:10 pm

I carry two of these, normally referred to, in such circles, as a 'brace.' The model I carry is smaller than the standard & is called the Public Defender. It has a shorter barrel & cylinder, so it can't handle the 3" magnum shells the full Judge can, but is much easier to carry & conceal. Still, the 2-3/4" ones will do the job. I feed them the Federal 000 Buckshot loads, which amount to four 9mm round lead copper jacketed balls, lined up in a row, in front of a standard .410 shotgun powder load. Naturally, I also carry additional fodder in the form of .45 Long Colt hollow points. Here's a video showing the full size judges in action:

Full Size Judges in SLO-MO

judgepd.png
judgepd.png (37.21 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

The following user would like to thank Fogdude for this post
BajeeZa, ctaulbee

Re: My Favorite Toys

Postby chouette » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:43 pm

That is very cool. I don't have or carry any guns but I have a pretty good knee that would do a fine job at certain parts of the body if I'm quick enough... lol
chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

Re: My Favorite Toys

Postby Fogdude » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:50 pm

This is one I searched for, for years. I didn't even know if something like it existed until I took the concealed carry class & mentioned my quest to the instructor. He'd heard of this model & told me it's name. I went to my local gun shop & asked about it & they had one. It had an 8 inch barrel, which was ridiculous, to me, so I got the name of the guy who made them & called him. We had a lengthy discussion & he agreed to make me a custom one with a 3 inch barrel & a rounded butt. Much more carry & concealable. It's called a 'Medusa.' You can google it easily with 'medusa revolver.'

I wanted this one because I was hoping to have a revolver that could shoot anything I had on hand for my other handguns, whether revolver or automatic pistol, as long as it was in the 9mm/.357/.38 size range, which was my predominant ammunition, at the time. As you noticed earlier, I've graduated to the .45 Long Colt & that is now my preferred round.

Originally, this was designed for use by the US Navy SEAL Teams. There are still models around on the gun sites with the SEAL emblem on the cylinder. A small batch with short barrels, like mine, were also produced for the Swiss Olympic Shooting team. That's why Rodger was willing to make me a custom one with such a short barrel, as he already had some made, though theirs were 4 inches, requiring being cut down a bit, but easier than making a new one from scratch.

You can see it, with a small sampling of what it can chamber & shoot, here:

medusa1.jpg
medusa1.jpg (319.07 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

From L to R the rounds are .357 Magnum, .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, .38 Super, .380 Auto, 9mm Kurz (Makarov)

It can't handle the .357 Maximum, as the case of that round is too long. I haven't had a chance to find any 9mmx23, which is pretty rare, so I haven't been able to try that, either, though I'd really like to try that out. SO far, the weirdest round I've fired in it was the 30-30 Carbine. When it went off, I was amazed at how tame it was, being mainly a rifle round, but when I extracted the case, was surprised to see that the last half inch of the case had expanded out to fill the chamber. Weird. Still, I hit the 10 ring at 21 feet with it. It also can't handle the .357 Sig, which has a .40 Caliber case, necked down to 9mm (.357").

This shot shows what's so unique about this model. Aside from being made of the hardest steel known, obtained from a NASA overstock, by the maker, it has a somewhat revolutionary extractor. Instead of the typical star, which is simply flush with the cylinder back & sits under the rims of revolver type cartridges, this design uses spring steel 'fingers' that protrude into the cartridge rim groove. This way, anything with a groove can be held in the chambers & positioned so the firing pin can hit the primer reliably. I've fired everything from .32 auto to 30-30 Carbine in it. As long as the case isn't too long for the cylinder & will fit in the chamber (even if very loosely, like the tiny .32), this baby will ignite it.

medusa2.JPG
medusa2.JPG (394.98 KiB) Viewed 2490 times

These are no longer made. Rodger Hunsaker, the owner, sold his patent years ago & retired. The new patent owner tried making them, but made the mistake of believing he could do it 'on the cheap' & ended up with so may failures & problems he abandoned it. I believe he was calling his model the 'Cobra'. Since Rodger had promised me a second one, before he retired, but I couldn't afford it at the time, I had hoped to get a Cobra, but when I called the new guy, Ed or Gary something, he said the design was junk & he wasn't making any more. So, I have this one. I have seen only one other with the short barrel & it even had the round butt, which is not standard, so someone else must have had the same idea. The rest I've seen have 8 inch barrels & square butts, which are useless to me.

An interesting bit of trivia: Remember the automatic used by RoboCop, that he drew from inside his thigh? The barrel on that gun was designed from the Medusa's barrel shroud. Rodger actually licensed the 'look & feel' of the Medusa to the producers for that movie.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

Return to Frivolous Pandemonium