Disney Considers AGE OF ULTRON a Failure....

Despite it's $1.4 Billion HaulChat area for all to enjoy a bit of friendly banter, share gossip or other chit-chat.

Disney Considers AGE OF ULTRON a Failure....

Postby bankska22 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:48 am

1.jpg
1.jpg (70.21 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

Over this last week, we've learned that Marvel Studios has severed its feature film ties with Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter, and now Kevin Feige will report directly to Disney studio chief Alan Horn. Then it was reported that Marvel's Creative Committee had been disbanded.

It seems the difficulty of working with Perlmutter might not be the only reason why all these changes are taking place. According to a report over at Bleeding Cool news, all of this tension between the two parties came to a head with the performance of Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The movie ending up pulling in $1.4 billion dollars at the box office, but apparently that wasn't enough for Disney. If you remember, some fans and analysts predicted that Avengers: Age of Ultron would take over Avatar in the top spot as highest grossing movie of all-time. It basically wasn't a good enough film for fans to go back and watch it in theaters multiple times.

Because of that, Disney reportedly feels that the movie was a failure. The report says that this "enabled Kevin Feige to use it leverage to push out Isaac Perlmutter, without whom there wouldn’t even be a Marvel Studios. And forced the disbanding of the Marvel Creative Committee a few months ago."

If this is really the case, it's crazy that Marvel thinks $1.4 billion is a failure. That's a shit ton of money! I do find it curious that Perlmutter's name is being dragged through the mud like this. Makes me wonder if this is all a calculated effort to get him away from Marvel completely.
bankska22
Buccaneer
Topics: 251
CoverArt: 1035
Resources: 71

The following user would like to thank bankska22 for this post
ctaulbee, sam

Re: Disney Considers AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON's $1.4 Billion Haul a Failure

Postby ctaulbee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 am

bankska22 wrote:... Makes me wonder if this is all a calculated effort to get him away from Marvel completely.

Sure sounds like it B)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Re: Disney Considers AGE OF ULTRON a Failure....

Postby bankska22 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:15 am

It does. The film was good but could have been better.
bankska22
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 am

It's obvious why, to me anyway, it's what happens all to often these days with successful series.

They really don't want to bring in new characters, that would in most likely hood make the story far more interesting. Instead what they keep doing is playing it safe by writing the whole story line to support the existing characters, even though they are in many cases not really needed, still they do it simply because they are afraid to not include them for fear of upsetting the fan base and hurting ticket sales.

So they keep on with the same character interactions in the exact same roles then just try to fit that into a new villain plot but to me it only comes off as exactly what it is, a repackage of what worked before with the only change being the bad guy.

:)

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby VincentLupo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Doesn't sound good for the future. Marvel was making some fantastic films before the merger with Disney. They were supposed to stay somewhat autonomous but that doesn't seem to be the case and I think it's going to hurt the future of all Marvel films. At least we got a couple good ones.
VincentLupo
Panda Administrator
Topics: 115
CoverArt: 199

Postby ctaulbee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:35 am

That is true but Marvel had not gotten to the point of second or third stories in the case of many of these films, I think it's safe to say they would have fallen into the same rut without Disney's help, all other studios do.

The saving grace for the Marvel franchise in general is the sheer number of solo characters they have to choose from for standalone projects, like the upcoming Doctor Strange, Gambit, Sinister Six, Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Inhumans, you get the idea.

They do far better when they are not trying to maintain a current character set in a new story, like the Avengers but instead can just focus on telling the untold story of a new character which is the piece that is missing from sequels unless new characters are introduced.

New characters in sequels is something they seem to shy away from in favor of what I'm sure they see as showcasing existing talent to capitalize on that angle. If they do intro new characters they tend to keep them on the sideline or minimal screen time really, like Falcon or the other new characters in the last Avengers film --did you notice the tiny amount of screen time they all got?

This is due to the studio feeling they have to keep what is considered the main money draws on screen most of the time, in what I think are pointless little "setup" chat situations simply so they can be funny and have the usual little retorts back and forth, take shots at each other, that kind of silly stuff.

Which was quite funny the first time it happened in the first film but now that's over, it's been done and to repeat it in the sequel well... I find that very boring, distracting and a waste of my time and it certainly does not make for a very interesting film.

This is just my opinion of course but I think many see films with these and other short comings but fail to recognize exactly what it is they "don't like" you often hear "I didn't care for it" or "it just didn't do it for me" or whatever but no actual "specific point" of what "exactly" it was that caused that bad response, make sense?

I suspect studios suffer the same quandary in that they likely don't spend any or enough time at least--analyzing--to find out exactly what caused this film or that film to fail, which explains why they continue to make the same mistakes over and over...

'end rant...

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby bankska22 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:16 pm

All good stuff. Capt films to me are the best. Consistent change and did you see the Black Panther? Can't wait to see him. Where these films have failed is over exposure of Iron Man. Growing sick of Marvel using him the way Wolverine was used. Stark did not create everything and while Ant Man was good, they changed the story using the secondary character. It all sucks to me. Lets not get started on Magneto's kids! They messed that up. We shall see. With the Netflix characters coming full bloom, This is the way they expand the universe. Rumor has it that Dr. Strange will make a an appearance on the small screen and we might see more crossovers. This imo will work. I would love to see Luke Gage and Iron Fist step on the Avengers turf. Ms Marvel is on the way so the studio may just agree with our way of thinking. Gotta change it up. I would also love to see Hercules show up. How cool would that be

1.jpg
1.jpg (110.62 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
bankska22
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Luke Cage has made a appearance in the new Jessica Jones series streaming off Netfix, him and Jessica had quite the torrid little sexual romp before he found out she killed his wife.

By the by I'm actually pretty impressed with the show, it's not as action-y as one would expect but the story is good and the characters are well cast IMHO.

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Postby bankska22 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:08 am

I like it. It's the way the comic flows. Awesome!
bankska22
Buccaneer

Postby ctaulbee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:17 am

You should check it out when you get the chance, I just finished it, great ending, kind of hoping they renew it for season two now.

It's quite explicit, they keep the nudity to minimum but the violence is very graphic and bloody at times, I'd classify it as dark drama kept my interest thru 13 episodes, near the end they hint at another character like Jessica and Luke with "special gifts" but don't give away enough info to where you could guess who it might be.

Maybe season two...

ctaulbee
Webmaster

Return to The Lounge