Windows 10

Chat area for all to enjoy a bit of friendly banter, share gossip or other chit-chat.

Re: Windows 10

Postby chouette » Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 pm

All my laptops and PC's have been with Windows 10 since pretty much the beginning and I never had any issues, but in all fairness, I don't use that many complicated softwares. But which ever ones I use, they all work fine or got updates after installation.
chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

Postby Pip » Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 pm

mywrench wrote:@ PIP I still have a 25 copy corporate license for XP, haven't used it since the day Win 7 was released.
Put Win 8 on my laptop when it came out, on a different HDD not to loose Win 7. After about 20 minutes put the Win 7 HDD back in and formatted the Win 8 HDD, and sold that copy of Win 8. Tried Win 8.1 the same way and did the same thing the copy of Win 8.1
Am running Win 10 Pro on my backup PC and my laptop. My main PC changed HDD put Win 7 Pro on and then upgraded to Win 10 Pro to activate that license, then back to the Win 7 HDD. I put the Win 10 HDD in once a month to keep it updated then back to Win 7
I use the backup PC for video editing (home movies, wedding I video for hire, etc) also use it to burn the videos. I do some still work on it in PS, which works as good as Win 7. I will be using Win 7 on the main PC until they stop the updates.
You don't want programs to start try Startup, It's a free program not available any more but I have a copy [see attachment] RAR file size 30.8k actual 76.3k
StartupCPL_EXE.rar

Pip get of the couch and get Win 10 and have a :Beer on me.

Basically wrench you do what I'll be doing except I ditched XP for Win7 service pack 1 and never looked back. XP was good but 7+service pack 1 was better, no doubt about it.

Vista was, well Vista but did improve after service pack one but I gave it a miss due to XP being so good for my needs. Windows 8 got sacked as it was aimed primarily at tablets and mobiles with touch screens (have you ever tried to use a microsoft mobile phone?). 8.1 was an attempt to get desktop users back on board but too little too late IMHO.

Windows 10 appears to be the first true multiplatform OS Microsoft have produced and I can see where they are coming from and can't really fault it except for the spyware that comes bundled with it by default and the and the layout orientated to touchscreens. I understand that's the future but it's not for me ATM - I don't yet have a touch screen.

What's under the hood is good and an improvement, disableing the spyware and classic shell looks like it will work on the desktop will work for me and I am willing to give it a go.

P.S. Just been informed via my laptop I'm still in the Insider program - free updates for LIFE! :LOL :LOL :LOL ;) :cheesy
Sad Lexa Doig Fan and PROUD of it!

If you like my covers, please leave a comment.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for PipView Showcase

Pip
Administrator
Awards: 2
Topics: 583
CoverArt: 561
Resources: 681

Postby Pip » Tue May 24, 2016 7:18 pm

fsurfer wrote:Luckily a friend in Brasil created a dvd with every variant of 7 B) with which I created a bootable thumbdrive :Evil

I've had one of those for a few years! :LOL :LOL :LOL

Pip
Administrator

Postby Wrench » Wed May 25, 2016 12:42 am

x86 cost no more than x64
Microsoft used to package an x86 disc and an x64 disc in one package for the same price.
I have a retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium pre SP1 that way. I got it thru wifes bosses son-in-law worked for MS then.
Cost was less than 1/2 price. got it for his price.
Click on Image Below To View My Covers

Awards Showing Recent Awards for WrenchView Showcase

Wrench
Contest Manager
Awards: 3
Topics: 229
CoverArt: 124
Resources: 46
Occupation: Retired ASE Auto Tech and loving it, Annoy Chouette.

Postby bankska22 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:25 am

No real issues with 10. The only issue is old programs running on 8 failed to work after the upgrade. Kinda sucks!
bankska22
Buccaneer
Topics: 251
CoverArt: 1035
Resources: 71

Postby Fogdude » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm

I hate the whole concept of Windows 10. It's intrusive beyond all comprehension, almost impossible to tweak in any meaningful, useful way & with the mandatory automatic updates (Yes, pro users can delay them, but only delay them.) if Micro$oft screws up an update, you're SOL until they ship out a fix.

I was an IT pro for 40 years. I started out before PCs ever existed. Anyone ever heard of a Heathkit? I've been implementing & using Windows on an enterpise scale, as well as personally, since it came out. The first release of ANY version is always crap. IMNSHO, the best version of Windows ever was Win2K. It was easily the simplest to lock down & secure. It was lightweight, fast & almost bombproof, if you bothered to configure it properly.

XP was a disaster from day one, though once they got their licensing scheme more or less worked out, it was almost tolerable. Vista was a joke. Win7 was just Vista with a few bug fixes & a poorer interface. Win8 was a total screw-up, with Win8.1 fixing most of the worst problems, but still forcing most of us to use a replacement shell.

I avoided Win10 until a couple of months ago. I was forced into it when my 87 year old father decided to upgrade to it without telling me first.

Amazingly, he got through the upgrade & his system still functioned. I must admit, they have improved their upgrade process, though accepting the defaults during installation is almost disastrous if you value your privacy at all. Fortunately, there are 3rd party tools that will help you lock down the most egregious transgressions into your privacy, but even the best are only partial.

The new Edge browser is their attempt to return to the old days of so fully integrating the browser into the OS, it won't function without it. None of us seem to remember 30 years ago when Bill Gates openly stated that his long term vision was to have every machine (even appliances) running Windows & living in the 'cloud' at M$. His idea was to give away not only the OS, but the hardware, because he planned to charge you for every access, every transfer, every message... Pennies at a time, but charge for EVERYTHING. No local storage, no privacy at all.

The reality is, this is where M$ has been pushing us all a long & WIn10 is the last major step in that direction. The path will be traveled in incremental steps from now on. More & more of what you've been accustomed to having on your local machine will be 'hosted' on the 'cloud' & eventually, you'll be charged to access it.

Unfortunately, though I had considered moving to Linux, most of the programs I use simply don't run on it & are likely to never be able to. They won't even run on WINE. There is no real alternative to the Windows behemoth. Apple has been doing a similar thing, though less aggressive, so even a Mac isn't a realistic alternative, though you'll never convince a Mac devotee of that.They still think they're naturally immune to viruses, for cryin' out loud.

So, bottom line, Win10 is the current reality. Get aboard or quit using a computer. Just do everything you can to protect your privacy.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam
Topics: 23
Resources: 57
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the guy under the desk, looking up...

Postby ctaulbee » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Fogdude wrote:So, bottom line, Win10 is the current reality. Get aboard or quit using a computer.

In a nutshell :LOL

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby Fogdude » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 pm

bankska22 wrote:No real issues with 10. The only issue is old programs running on 8 failed to work after the upgrade. Kinda sucks!

I ran into the same problem. The Win10 upgrade usually completely uninstalls SpyBot S&D & Classic Shell. Both of which re-install & run without problems. Those are the only things it interfered with. Everything else is running fine.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby Fogdude » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

I just realized I never mentioned some of the handier utilities & programs you can use to help tame Win10, so here goes:

1. Classic Shell. Hands down the simplest, most stable, most familiar looking shell replacement I've seen. If you preferred Win7 or XP, you can choose which style & even mix them up to whatever you like. I don't believe you can go wrong with this one, though, for some reason, if you opt for the Classic Explorer, to replace the Windows File Explorer, you may need to tweak the display options. Two of my systems were unusable until I changed the text height on the tree view to 0, instead of the -5 that somehow got in there when it installed.

2. SpyBot Anti-Beacon. The same folks who brought us the excellent SpyBot S&D have provided this handy little stand-alone that lets you turn off the most egregious telemetry intrusions Win10 insists on forcing on us. It's simple, straightforward & runs on demand. Due to the way Win10 likes to reset many of these settings, especially after an automatic update, just kicking this little beastie off every week or two will show what's been turned back on & you just turn it back off. There are many programs like this offered out there, but I like this one the best. For those of you using Win7 or Win8, it does the same thing for them, though there was less that M$ put in those versions.

3. Network Activity Monitor. Remember the good old days when you had a network icon in your system tray that actually told you hoe much you were sending & receiving? Well, that had to go with Win8 because M$ couldn't keep letting us see how much of our bandwidth they were burning up with all their data capture & transfers. This little gem will show you every adapter you set it for with the familiar to/from icon. It doesn't replace the static one Win10 provides.

That's enough for now. I'll be back with others, later.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby bankska22 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 am

Windows 10 is ok. I have had problems with 2 programs that stopped working. My VPN stopped responding. Bummer! Found a new One and as of now, all is good. :)
bankska22
Buccaneer

Postby Fogdude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:04 am

Yeah, WIn10 doesn't like VPNs & proxies, though I don't know why. Since the OS on your machine is now doing all the spying, it doesn't matter what you use to try to maintain anonymity on the web. Everything you do on your machine is subject to monitoring & logging at MicroSoft. You can turn off much of it, but the Cortana service runs no matter what, even if you've disabled it. You can even go to the source folder & delete the executables, but as soon as Win10 does an automatic update, it's back.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby chouette » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Good to know Fog... :)
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby Fogdude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Yeah, but knowing what Win10 is doing is kinda like a fatal cancer diagnosis. Now you know about it, but what good does it do? :Unpleased
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby chouette » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Sweet nothing!! :LOL
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby bankska22 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:06 am

Wow! Thanks Fog. :) Working fine at the moment. :)
bankska22
Buccaneer

Postby Pip » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:24 am

Well, I've given W10 a good trial but this week re-installed W7. i've given it a good run but just can't get on with it.

The main thing for me is my sound quit working after the Anniversary update (desktop PC) and I spent days trying all the fixes reccomended on various sites (including MS support) and nothing worked. W7 has cured the problem.

It could be that my system is getting on a bit but I'm a firm believer in "if it works, don't try to fix it!".

Strangely enough my "older" laptop works quite happilly with it. I presume it's the difference between AMD based and Intel based systems. IDK.

I'm waiting to see what M/S has up it's sleeve going forward. You can't write off a potential 1 Billion revenue (People not cash) and not have plans for a return on the "give away"!

They've already started with charges on cloud based services, a recent update to Outlook email warns you won't get full functionality if you use an adblocker and you need to pay for ad free Outlook.

I have a vague memory of Hotmail restricting the use of 3rd pary email clients for new users, I avoided it as I was classed as a Legacy user so it didn't affect me. Since I also got a gmail account I just use Hotmail (Outlook) as a back-up.

As to the future I still have a spare HDD with windows 10 on it but if I ever use it again remains to be seen. Once support ends for Win 7 I may go onto a Linux system but have win7 offline for other uses.

Pip
Administrator

Postby Fogdude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:10 pm

When WIn10 was announced I started to immediately investigate alternatives. A Mac was out. Apple has been more of a tyrant with their systems than M$ has ever been, until now & they still haven't approached the totalitarianism of Apple. Linux was the obvious next option. I looked into the various flavors & options & found that virtually none of the software I use routinely is even available on Linux, even with WINE. I'm not about to change everything I do & everything I use to do it, so I was stuck with going with the flow.

As to your sound, Pip. A friend had a similar issue, though I doubt it matches yours. He had an external surround system on a laptop. When he upgraded to Win10, he found that in some applications, his system would automatically revert to his onboard speakers & there was no way for him to force the sound back to his external sound system, from that application or in the Windows Control panel. I finally figured out that because he was using the headphone/speaker jack to plug in his sound system, whenever the application looked for the sound output, it overrode the jack & just went back to the onboards. I told him to get a USB adapter for speakers/mic & he did. Using that as his sound device solved the problem. Once he had a separate sound port, not tied to his onboard speakers, his external sound system, once selected as the primary device, stayed that way. A clunky workaround, but it works.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby Doc Brown » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 pm

One problem I have with W10 it's... i can't play fifa 14. :Oops

Awards Showing Recent Awards for Doc BrownView Showcase

Doc Brown
Voyager
Awards: 4
Topics: 61
CoverArt: 81

Postby Fogdude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Doc Brown wrote:One problem I have with W10 it's... i can't play fifa 14. :Oops

Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby chouette » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:58 am

Wow that video goes over 5 minutes, mostly on this dude typing what to do? I think CT should show him a thing or 2, lol (Unless it's a joke, as I didn't watch the whole thing).
chouette
Buccaneer

Postby Fogdude » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:16 am

Yeah, it's slow & simple. Should have been done in one minute. That's often the case when non-English speakers do things like this.
Fogdude
Yosemite Sam

Postby Doc Brown » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks Fogdude ;-)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for Doc BrownView Showcase

Doc Brown
Voyager
Awards: 4
Topics: 61
CoverArt: 81

Postby aLTRe-eGo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:33 am

Best resource to get your W10 info and it's problems with updates.

https://www.askwoody.com/
http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/
aLTRe-eGo
aLTRe-eGo
Topics: 10
CoverArt: 20
Resources: 1

Next

Return to The Lounge