Opening files from Resources

what type of program needed.Chat area for all to enjoy a bit of friendly banter, share gossip or other chit-chat.

Opening files from Resources

Postby Roseflamingo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:32 am

Since I use Corel Paintshop Pro instead of Adobe Photoshop I cannot open files when using downloads from the Resource section. Until I can find an affordable Adobe Photoshop program for what I do what programs can I or should I download to help open these files? Thanks for the help, Tim (Roseflamingo) :emo14

Awards Showing Recent Awards for RoseflamingoView Showcase

Roseflamingo
Uncovered Resident
Awards: 3
Topics: 17
CoverArt: 1105

The following user would like to thank Roseflamingo for this post
chouette, ctaulbee

Re: Opening files from Resources

Postby ctaulbee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 am

I assume since you were non-specific as to which files you meant, that you are referring to the PSD template files.

Short version is the only program that can be used with those is Photoshop.

You can get the latest Photoshop on a monthly fee basis they no longer sell standalone versions it's all cloud based since 2013 and is about $9.99USD per month for Photoshop only.

You might find a old version of CS6 still floating around that was the last standalone version sold and it will work with all the current templates I think but beware of people selling illegitimate copies as the real deal and Adobe no longer supports anything but CC so any problems will be all you.

I know other programs claim to "open" them and they well may but opening is one thing, "using" is quite another, for example if you only wanted to print them that would be fine or perhaps use some of the layers in them might be able to do that but full functionality I seriously doubt it.

However if you intend to "edit" them and "create covers" with them then you have to have Photoshop.

Paintshop Pro has it's own format for files which is also unique.

I tried the latest version of Paintshop Pro just to see how it was last year my intent was to maybe make some PSP templates but it was way too buggy for me it literally has problems even simple things like curves adjustments were quirky, I managed to get it to work in spite of the poor interface but I have years of experience in graphics and can work around stuff like that I can only imagine the headache it would be for a newbie though.

I personally would never recommend it, I've used or tied every kind of graphics software there is and nothing compares to Adobe's Photoshop.

I have Corel X7 installed still because I started out on Corel Draw back in 1997 lol and I still sometimes use it to convert CDR files to AI but have long since migrated all my vector work to Adobe Illustrator you just can't beat Adobe software.

There is a reason why they are the most used design software suite by all the design professionals around the world.

:)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby Roseflamingo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:17 am

Thanks for the info and yes Corel is not an easy program to master quickly. I've been using it since Paintshop pro x4 and everyday I'm still learning new tricks and as I'm trying to expand my artistic abilities with such programs, Corel is very limited. I've gotten the latest versions and they really haven't changed much, just seem to have made it more complicated and using it with my Intuos drawing pad is almost impossible to master. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go to Adobe's paid monthly subscription service and join the rest of you wonderful artists and bring my art to a higher level. Thanks for the quick response and keep up the great work! ;-)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for RoseflamingoView Showcase

Roseflamingo
Uncovered Resident
Awards: 3
Topics: 17
CoverArt: 1105

Postby ctaulbee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:18 am

Your welcome, you will find the Intuos will work very well with Photoshop, I know mine does.

The plus side of Photoshop is there is such a wealth of information available for it and most anyone you meet who does graphics can help you too as everyone uses it, that is simply not true of any other program, with them finding help or tutorials is next to impossible.

;)

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby Pip » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 am

Roseflamingo wrote:Thanks for the info and yes Corel is not an easy program to master quickly. I've been using it since Paintshop pro x4 and everyday I'm still learning new tricks and as I'm trying to expand my artistic abilities with such programs, Corel is very limited. I've gotten the latest versions and they really haven't changed much, just seem to have made it more complicated and using it with my Intuos drawing pad is almost impossible to master. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go to Adobe's paid monthly subscription service and join the rest of you wonderful artists and bring my art to a higher level. Thanks for the quick response and keep up the great work! ;-)

You have a pm. ;-)
Sad Lexa Doig Fan and PROUD of it!

If you like my covers, please leave a comment.

Awards Showing Recent Awards for PipView Showcase

Pip
Administrator
Awards: 2
Topics: 583
CoverArt: 561
Resources: 681

Return to The Lounge