hap3toker and his crashing puter

Chat area for all to enjoy a bit of friendly banter, share gossip or other chit-chat.

hap3toker and his crashing puter

Postby wansbrough » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:11 pm

I was just reading in the shoutbox about hap3toker's crashing puter and can really sympathise with him. Its crap when they start misbehaving. Both my home PC and work one are showing signs of age and don't do thinks half as quick as they used to. I dread the thought of having to re-install everything on a new one. I had a nasty last year on home puter and had to reformat the hard drive, it made me as moody as hell for weeks as I lost soooo much stuff. Stuff you probably will never get again too. So I thought I would ask here what everybody did with regard to back-up's. I still haven't learnt my lesson as I still have no back up. :Tazz :confused
All my cover stuff, photo's and mp3's are tucked away on a separate hard drive and without buying another one how should I back something like that up? Currently 141 GB of data.........
Life is like a toilet-paper roll, It starts spinning a lot faster towards the end of the roll..
wansbrough
The Godfather
Topics: 128

Re: hap3toker and his crashing puter

Postby VincentLupo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm

I use western digital 2 TB external drives in Raid 1. You only get 1TB of storage that way but all the data is redundant. That way if one drive fails you just replace it and it rebuilds itself. I've got 3 of them at the moment but I'm gonna need another soon.
VincentLupo
Panda Administrator
Topics: 115
CoverArt: 199

Postby dirk8837 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05 pm

i recently had major puter issues and tbh i still am not sure its fixed but so far touch wood it seems to be ok, tbh i very rarely back up anything at all, instead i try to keep all of my important stuff on different hard drives, ie i have one hard drive with windows and programs on it but i try my best not to store anything else on it and instead keep all my stuff on an external drive and 4 other internal ones. I had been lazy for awhile though so when my computer did decide to have problems i still lost well over 100 gigs worth of stuff, to say i was not happy is somewhat of an understatment, and i am trying to get some of it back but tbh i dont think i will ever be able to get it all again.

Tbh i think the main problem you are going to have will be with your windows drive this is why i only keep windows and programs on it, then if you do have a problem its only windows and your programs you need to reinstall, your important data is safe on a different drive, about a year ago i did have an external drive break on me but 9 times out of 10 it is the enclousure that breaks and not the HD itself so i was able to take the HD out of the enclousure and put it inside my system and all was ok with it, so if you do ever have problems with an external drive remember its always best to take it out of the enclousure and try it inside your machine before you write it off.

At the moment i have windows on a 200 gig drive, then i have 4 extra internal ones, a 1000 gig, a 500 gig, a 160 gig and a 120 gig and then i have a 500 gig external drive.

With HD's so cheap at the moment wansbrough i would just get yourself another one, i recently saw a 500 gig external seagate drive for £49.99 in currys but i have seen 1TB internal drives for about the £50 mark online, even the samsung F1 spinpoint is only £57.95 for 1 TB, if this is a bit to much then you can get lower capacity drives for next to nothing online and it really does save your bacon. If i hadnt had most of my stuff on different drives then i would have lost alot more than 100 gig.

The other option is to partition your main drive, this doesnt help you if you have a HD failure but if you need to reinstall windows then at least the stuff on your second partition is safe.
dirk8837
The Big Kahuna
Topics: 123

Postby GRINCH » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 pm

I can feel his pain and I am sorry to hear that Hap.

I recently burned my mobo after 8 yrs of use day and night and had to get a new one. Not just from burning it but also out of date.

Now I use my old HD as a backup with all my "downloaded programs" and my custom covers and labels. (80Gig with 8megs of cache).

I had to buy a new PC with money I wasn't planning on using for this... :Unpleased

New machine has 500Gigs (for burning movies).. lol.
GRINCH
Explorer
Topics: 77
CoverArt: 375

Postby Blknight3 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:07 am

I just built a new computer about 3 months ago. I have 2 500 Gb drives. On the main drive all I have is my OS and games. The secnd drive is where everything important ( photos, docs, etc.) are stored. Once a month I back everything from that drive up to an external 250 Gb drive just in case.

I also use Driver Magician to update, backup, and if need be restore all my drivers, documents and web pages. A neat little program. If I do have to reformat it's just one click and all current drivers are right back on the machine and I'm up and running.

New PC is a Core i7 920 overclocked to 3.4. Nice machine
Blknight3
Wayfarer
Topics: 11

Return to The Lounge