The Finest Hours (2016)

New movie release May 24 on DVD/Blu-rayNews. Reviews, Trailers lets talk about everything in the film & TV world.

The Finest Hours (2016)

Postby chouette » Wed May 18, 2016 8:07 pm

This movie comes out on DVD/Blu-ray next week! :)

The Finest Hours (2016)

The Finest Hours is a 2016 American historical disaster drama-thriller film directed by Craig Gillespie and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. The screenplay, written by Eric Johnson, Scott Silver, and Paul Tamasy, is based on The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue by Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman. The film chronicles the true account of the 1952 United States Coast Guard rescue of the SS Pendleton, after it split apart during a nor'easter off the New England coast.

Storyline –

In February of 1952, one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast struck New England, damaging an oil tanker off the coast of Cape Cod and literally ripping it in half. On a small lifeboat faced with frigid temperatures and 70-foot high waves, four members of the Coast Guard set out to rescue the more than 30 stranded sailors trapped aboard the rapidly-sinking vessel.

Genre – Action, Drama, History
Starring – Chris Pine, Casey Affleck, Ben Foster, Holliday Grainger, John Ortiz, and Eric Bana

Finest Hours.jpg
Finest Hours.jpg (120.54 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

Covers in the Gallery for this Title:

chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

The following user would like to thank chouette for this post
ctaulbee, Fogdude

Re: The Finest Hours (2016)

Postby ctaulbee » Fri May 20, 2016 3:00 am

I found it to be a little slow, it's got drama, action and romance but it kind of bounces around and does not really succeed on any of them, came off like they were trying too hard to tell all the angles of the story.

Or perhaps it's the History Channel junkie in me that makes me not like these kinds of films so much, because I would rather watch a well made documentary about this story than a half-baked drama/romance featuring brand-name actors and CGI squalls.

Fact is the heroism of that real life crew from 1952 does deserve a film to tell the story, that said I think this is not it, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either

Rating

Awards Showing Recent Awards for ctaulbeeView Showcase

ctaulbee
Webmaster
Awards: 7
Topics: 291
CoverArt: 15
Resources: 484

Postby chouette » Fri May 20, 2016 7:33 pm

ctaulbee wrote:I found it to be a little slow, it's got drama, action and romance but it kind of bounces around and does not really succeed on any of them, came off like they were trying too hard to tell all the angles of the story.

Or perhaps it's the History Channel junkie in me that makes me not like these kinds of films so much, because I would rather watch a well made documentary about this story than a half-baked drama/romance featuring brand-name actors and CGI squalls.

Fact is the heroism of that real life crew from 1952 does deserve a film to tell the story, that said I think this is not it, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either

Rating

Oh really CT? I thought this would be a full action movie... thanks for the feedback! :O
chouette
Buccaneer
Topics: 166
CoverArt: 11
Resources: 5

Postby VincentLupo » Sat May 21, 2016 12:26 am

And with that review from CT this one is going on the back burner. :)
VincentLupo
Panda Administrator
Topics: 115
CoverArt: 199

Return to Movie Emporium